The principals behind Fortune Public Relations are Debby Fortune and Thomas Walton who, collectively, have 50 years of marketing, management, promotion, and public relations experience. Prior to founding Fortune PR in 1986, Debby Fortune handled cooking show and food event media relations for KQED, San Francisco's leading public television and radio station.
Professional Memberships and Activities
NASFT - National Association for the Specialty Food Trade, Members
- "Effective Retail Promotions", Tom Walton, Moderator, Winter NASFT Fancy Food Show, San Francisco
- "101 Ideas for High Impact, Low-Cost PR", Debby Fortune, Panelist, Summer NASFT Fancy Food Show, New York City
SFPFS - San Francisco Professional Food Society, Active Members
- Tom Walton, Board Member, 1988-1995
- PR Committee Chair, 1990-1994
- IACP - International Association of Culinary Professionals, Active Members
- Attended NYC Marketing and Media Conference
- Attended Chicago conference
- Planner, SF Regional conference
- IFEC - International Foodservice Editorial Council, Member
- Coordinated special exposure for clients at SF Conference
- IAWCR - International Association of Women Chefs and Restaurateurs, Member, Committee Member
- Public Relations/San Francisco Bay Area Publicity Club, Member
- Northern California Book Publicists Association, Member
- American Institute of Wine and Food, Member
Courses We Have Taught
- WIPRS - Wine Industry Public Relations Seminars Organization of Wine Makers and Marketing and PR Pros of Wine Industry Course: "Developing A Marketing and Public Relations Plan"
- GGRA - Golden Gate Restaurant Association Panelist: "PR Professionals and The Media"
- Mills College, Oakland, Dept. of Communications Senior Seminar: "Effective Consumer Public Relations Campaigns"
- St. Mary's College, Moraga, Journalism Department Senior Seminar: "Boutique PR Agencies: Filling A Niche"
More About Us
In addition to our many professional association memberships and activities, Fortune PR is active in the Bay Area community. We participate in Halloween Heroes, a "trick-or-treat party" to benefit the Wender Weis Foundation for Children. Together with our clients, we are also active in the KGO Cure-A-Thon, which benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
We have provided public relations support for the Alliance for Aging Research and for the Golden Gate Restaurant Association. We worked to establish the Asian Chefs Association by providing two years of pro bono public relations services.
We run an educational internship program in association with numerous colleges in the U.S. and abroad, through which we teach students about the business of public relations. For many years we also took an active role in keeping our community clean by sponsoring litter removal along a two-mile stretch of the freeway I-80.
Fortune PR undertakes these community-building activities in order to set an example, and we invite you to find a way to give back to your community as well!
Debby was interviewed by Stefani Pollack who founded Food Interviews and The Cupcake Project. Learn all about Fortune PR, how we work and what we think... Part One and Part Two.
Articles About Us
See what the East Bay Business Times is saying about Fortune Public Relations.